As you know, I am a big fan of fashion blogs. I'm always posting about giveaways and the like and while looking for pictures for my last "Shopgirl" post I stumbled on The Glamorous Grad Student and have fallen in love! I feel like most fashion blogs I go to tell you how to dress, what's in style, what you should have, etc. And I don't want to be told. I want to figure it out for myself. She came up with this whole questionnaire about your fashion wants and inspirations. I sometimes feel like the society of the place I live in is only accepting of certain kinds of style and fashion and that has been bugging me lately. I feel like I'm dressing towards their expectation instead of my own and I want to find my own style again. Be comfortable in my own clothes and skin. Not have to conform to the ideas everyone else has. So I printed out this little questionnaire and filled it out and I'm going to post it on here. Just to have something for me to look back on to remind myself what I really want and not get sidetracked.
Part One: Wardrobe Practicalities
This section is for reflecting the unique wardrobe needs of your individual lifestyle.
* You get up in the morning and open your closet to start getting dressed. What do you want people to think about you and your style? What's the best compliment you could get? I want to look crisp and put together. Simple, classic, but interesting and unique. Adventurous! Contrasting colors and fabrics.
* What do you feel are the problems with your style at the moment? I feel like a frump mom most of the time. I feel like I don't have the options I want, that my style isn't fun like it used to be. I have a lot of my old clothes that don't fit or flatter my body anymore after having a baby.
* On a normal day, what sort of situations are ahead of you? Do any of them have dress codes or particular style needs? I'm a mom. I need something comfortable and wearable and washable. I'm a jeans and a t-shirt lady. I need something modest. And for sundays I want to dress up when I get the opportunity.
* What are the most versitile (most-worn) items in your closet? Cardigans for layering. V-neck solid t-shirt. Tanktops for layering. My skinny jeans.
* What were the biggest shopping mistakes, things you barely wore or never even took the tag off. Heels! I spent $80 on these gorgeous sating Nine West heels 3 years ago and probably only wore them half a dozen times. I like the way they look on other people and how they make my legs look sexy, but I'm much more comfortable in a cute flat. Even possibly a wedge.
* Is there a dream outfit you often wish you had, when you stare into your closet in the morning? I don't have an outfit, but I'd like a few key pieces for different seasons. I want a jersey skirt for summer to wear with sandals and a t-shirt, I want boots for fall to wear with skinny jeans and cute skirts and tights, a military style long winter coat and cute sandals for spring. I think if I had a few cute pieces for everyday stuff I could work around that.
Part Two: Wardrobe Glee
This section is for exploring you feel best wearing.
* What was/is your favourite outfit ever, as in an outfit which filled you with glee, confidence and other fun things? Describe it and your feelings about it as fully as possible. My high school graduation dress. It took me forever to find! I was looking for just the right thing. It was beautiful and yellow and floral. Cute empire waist and gathered bust. Made me feel bright and sunny and confident. Wish I still had it. But even if I did I couldn't fit into it anyway.
* What was the worst outfit ever, as in an outfit you were unhappy in from the moment you put it on... As in, if wild dogs had ripped it off you and destroyed it you'd have given them a leg of ham in gratitude. So many instances in high school trying to be different and adventurous just ended up looking disastrous! But at least I tried
* What parts of your body are you happiest about and happiest showing off? I like my collarbones and my chest. Always wanted big boobs and now I have them. I also like my calves and ankles
* Are there parts of your body you'd rather not focus on? Please don't think you should hide any part of your body or be ashamed of it (because you shouldn't be!), but if there are things you don't want to highlight, that's ok to admit. My tummy and thighs I don't like. Would not like to showcase those.
* What are your feelings towards colour and pattern? I love them! Bright colors and cute patterns are so fun and make things so much more interesting.
o Which colours do you find yourself wearing day-to-day? Floral, lots of stripes. Blue & grey a lot
o Which colours fill you with glee and confidence to wear? (Is there overlap between your day-to-day and your filled-with-glee colours?) Purple, yellow, corals one of my favorites so I'd like to get more cute things in that
o Do you like patterns? If so, which ones? Love patterns! I like floral and stripes, herringbone and I like chevron, but that seems more friendly to decoration
Part Three: Wardrobe Inspiration
This section is for discovering the elements of your ideal style.
* Which famous person scores highest for style with you? Can be an actress, singer, politician, It-girl... Whoever appeals to you! Ellen Page, Audrey Hepburn, Coco Chanel, Gwen Stefani (minus all the midriffs)
* What are your favourite literary, movie and television characters, if style alone were the criteria? Mirabelle Buttersfield, Marla Singer, Betty Draper is classic
* Time and place can be so evocative. When and where would you love to live, just for the style? List up to three. 1940's London, 1960's, Maybe even a little Jane Austen time in there
* If money/shipping limitations/stupid sizing were not issues, what shops and designers would you go to for clothes? Anthropologie, J Crew, Banana Republic, Modcloth. I love forever 21 too! Anything that costs money is an issue when you don't have much of a budget to spend
I think this is a good start. I can start thinking about what I like and getting things ready and put together