Thursday, September 18, 2008

Motherly instincts?

I think my motherly instincts have already kicked in because I worry all the time about what kind of mother I'll be, what things I'll teach them, what I'll let them get away with, what kind of example I'll be to them. I really want to do the right things for them, teach them how to behave. Let them have their own life experiences, not shelter them too much so they can't handle the real world. But I don't want them to do all the same things I did as a teenager. I had my fair share of bad and good experiences and I want them to miss out on the bad stuff.

And in saying that, I wonder about my own nieces and nephews, wondering if I've been a good example to them. Because of the age difference, they're more like my little brothers and sisters that I hardly saw growing up. I want them to know who they are, or atleast have a basic idea, because at their age nobody knows who they are. My nephew will be able to date in April, about 7 months away and I don't think he has any idea how to treat girls and how to act on a date and maybe 16 year old boys are scared of girls, but I don't think they're as afraid of them as he is.

I want to teach my boys how to respect and treat girls, so when their time comes I don't have to worry too much about what happens. I want good little boys that girls like. And hopefully with Derek and I as parents and the things we did when we were younger, they'll be good social little kids :)

1 comment:

becky rigby said...

I'm sure you didn't teach them too bad of things :)